• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What kind of case do i have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yak

PA, I was taken advantage of from a credit card collector. I was at a friends house and there was a call that could have been for me. I answered and they asked if i was that person that had a similar name as mine, especially when pronounced just like mine. The collector started harrassing me and i started getting really upset. He got all my info. out of me and wanted me to send $130 dollors to them immediatly, which i did. I then started to ask around and thought maybe it was a scam, so i cancelled the check according to the clerk at my bank. Well, the check was still somehow cashed. It made me totally broke, living monthly causing alot of bounced checks. I also got a bad case of depression and had to strt up pills and take counseling. This ordeal has caused my life to be destroyed. I need help into what kind of case i have with limited money.

[Edited by yak on 02-12-2001 at 09:28 PM]

JETX

As I understand it, here is your case...

You answered the phone at a friends house and due to YOUR confusion(??), you thought the phone was for you and you gave the caller all kinds of personal information on you. Additionally, even though the call wasn't for you, and you didn't owe them any money, YOU STILL SENT THEM A CHECK!!!!

Later, you stopped pay on this check, but the bank paid it anyway.

Now, due to YOUR total ignorance, you are claiming that someone else is responsible for your depression and need for medication and counseling.

If this is anywhere near accurate, you have absolutely NO CASE against the caller/creditor. All of these problems arose because YOU didn't clarify who the caller wanted. It is all YOUR fault.

Now, you might have an action against your bank for violating their fiduciary responsibility in honoring a check that had a 'stop pay' on it. Based on your post, you should confront them with their fault for honoring the check and they should refund all bank charges that you incurred.

(PT Barnum WAS right!!)

Y

yak

well thank you but, we had the same credit card same first and last name, same age and the first 4 of our s.s. was the same when i found the digits from the collecion agency which they can't give out. First off i was already diagnosed with depression and the situation caused me to be more stressed out just starting college on my own and been living totally on my own since 17. My ignorance must come from me being mentally ill,most likely. sorry i get easily disturbed and lose my sense when someone is harrsing me and telling me i'm giong to jail for money that i owe. It made me think that yes i do have a large amont due but paying it monthly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">