• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawn Shop in California, pleeease help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevygiirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I need help. I'm wondering should I sue or not. In california the law for pawn brokers as I've been reading, the term for loan is 4 months and if you don't pay interest or the loan off AT THE END OF THE 4 MONTH TERM, than they can sell your stuff. But before they can even sell it, they need to mail out a letter to me giving me 10 days to go in to pay for it. Below is a little summary of California's law for pawn shops.

http://inlandlegal.org/publications/consumer/ENGLISH_Pawn_Shops_Brochure.pdf

I pawned my gold on 10-22-07 paid interest November, December, January & February. I didn't pay in March, April or May. Then i went in on June 21st 2008 to pay interest to continue the loan cause supposedly thats the 4th month. But when i went... the shop was closed! they had a sign saying under construction will reopen July 1st 2008. So when July 1st came I went in and they said they sold my gold! Simple as that! They said I took too long. The best thing they can offer me was, not the exact same bracelet but something of equal value... should I take it or not? They don't keep records of anything at that place. Very unorganized. When I brought them papers stating the law, he said well every pawn shop run different. But according to the law they're suppose to take down my name, address, and even send me a notice before they sell it! And they clearly did NOT. And how is it my fault when they weren't even open for me to go pay for my gold! I went on the business day they stated they will open on.

I don't know if it's worth going to court for, not only they sold my possession that I obviously cannot replace a gift from my mother. Second they are breaking the law. Who knows how many other people they rip off. Plus I don't have money to hire an attorney. Maybe I should go to a small claims court? Or should I settle with his deal? The bracelet is solid gold worth 1,000. What should I do?????? =( I told the shop I will be back on the 15th If i agree on their deal. And nothing is in writing not even this agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">