• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused in CA for domestic abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anngormley

Two years ago my son's girlfriend and mother of his newborn child had him falsely arrested due to the accusation of domestic abuse. She did not press charges (because there were none) but it cost us $1,000 to the bail bondsman and a day/night in jail. Now she rarely comes home and my son works full time, leaving the childcare to myself and husband. When the mother of my grandson comes in contact with my son, she threatens to have him "put in jail" by calling 911 and it is not beyond her to beat herself up. How can our son protect himself against her threats? They are both signers on the lease to the apt. even though she has not paid rent this month. The counselor's advice to my son is "don't ruffle her feathers". This is the first question I have of a very long story and my son's attempt to untangle himself from this woman and keep the baby safe with him.

H

hannah jo

Perhaps he should consider leaving her - and taking the child with him. You do not say how long they are bound by the lease - but that is something to consider as well. She will only take control of the situation so long as he lets her. If she exhibits abusive behavior towards him, he may be able to obtain a restraining order agsint her - especially if the behavior is carrie dout in front f the child and may jeopardize the saftey and well being of the child.

A

anngormley

Thank you - he is looking into the lease situation. She hasn't paid the rent this month and only shows up there occasionally during the week when no one is there to take care of the fish tank. The best thing to happen is to somehow have her leave. I appreciate your taking the time to write.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">