• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of property after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcorsi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut.

My stsist just lost her husband and needs to know what to do about Probate, or if she needs to do anything at all. To the best of my knowledge her husband did not have a will.

My sister can't read she suffers from a serious learning disability and therefore has no understanding of what to do.

She has received one phone call from an attorney who said that everything must come out of her husband’s name and that everything must go through Probate, she called me and asked “what should I do”

Please any advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you

nextwife

To know what is needed, it would be helpful to know WHAT he owned and how those ownerships were held. Probate may or may not be necessary.

Real estate? How titled?

Savings, checking accounts? How titled?

Stocks? Mutual funds?

401ks? IRAs? Life Insurance? Who is the named beneficiaries?

Are there minor children? She needs to file for Social Security survivor's benefits for them.

Household furnishings/etc. that they did not buy together?

gcorsi

All household items purchased together, car, truck and house in both names, not stocks, no 401K no savings to speak of life insurance (not much) my sister is beneficiary. No childern at home, all married.

gcorsi

distribution of property oafter death

Turns out he did have a will and left everything to his wife (my sisyer).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">