• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fairytalesrcute

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My grandmother dies in May 20036. Me and my sister were named as beneficiaries to her life insurance policy. The policy amount was $1M. At the time of her death both me and my sister were minors and my mother would not give us any information. Since her death my father has become unreachable and my mother is incapable of remembering anything in the past. I am currently 20, my sister is currently 16. I want to know if there is any chance the life insurance policy still has funds to disperse to me and my sister. I have my grandmothers birth and death date, the county and city of death and her social security number. Please help!

anteater

If you know the insurance company, try contacing them to find out what happened to the policy proceeds.

If you don't, go to the probate court in the county in which your grandmother resided to determine if a probate case was opened. If it was, the case files are public information. While policy proceeds may not have been part of the probate estate, the files may contain information about the policy.

If you and/or sister are living with your mother, do some discrete snooping among her financial records.

Dandy Don

Please clarify exactly what year the death occurred.

Do you know the name of the insurance company?

Do you know whether this policy was purchased on her own volition or would it have been possibly a group policy purchased through her place of employment?

You or the executor of the estate (if there is one) may want to order copies of cancelled checks from her bank, for about 1-2 years back, to see if there is a record of any insurance premium monthly payment to an insurance company.

Order a policy locator search for $75 at www.mib.com

Contact her physician to see if there is a way to look at her online medical records and/or credit bureau records to see what record is there of insurance companies who may have made inquiries/looked at her records to do business with her.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">