• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia Peeping Tom - PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cthom061

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have been arrested for trespassing and Virginia's peeping tom law (a class 1 misdemeanor). I am trying to figure out exactly what to do now. Can anyone tell me exactly what sort of sentencing to expect. My only previous violations are parking tickets, I am 22, and a student.

In addition, should I get an attorney for this, and if so would a court appointed attorney do the job well enough? I am looking to get my sentence down to as little as possible. I basically confessed to everything in my statement to the police, now I am just interested in damage control. Is there any chance that this gets dismissed or lessened (and if so to what degree)?

I have my first court date tomorrow at 8:30AM, I am trying to contact an attorney now, but its hard on short notice while working. Are they going to ask for a plea tomorrow morning, and if they do will they give me a chance to speak to a court appointed attorney first? If I do plead guilty to everything when do I get sentenced, and when does that sentence start? I'm getting married soon and being in jail on that date would SUCK. In addition is there ANYTHING AT ALL I can do to make myself look better when I go in to enter a plea? I have considered going to the victims and apologizing and just hoping for the best, but I don't want that to look like harassment. In addition I could sign up for counseling if that makes things look better (I don't even know if that is appropriate for this sort of violation but I am ready to do whatever I have to). Should I have a statement ready, or will the judge care at all about anything I have to say other than my plea?

Please help me, I don't have long and I'm terrified as to the effect this will have on the rest of my life. I know I should have considered that ahead of time, but I didn't. From here on out I will be much more careful not to do anything that might even look criminal or suspicious.

Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You could end up having to register as a sexual offender. I wouldn't contact the victims as that could be seen as victim intimidation. Definitely hire an attorney.

cthom061

Sexual offender

That would suck a lot. However, I have been told that this offense does not qualify me for the list as it is now. I AM NOT being charge with lewd acts, which would put me on the list. I don't know what the likely hood of them "tacking on" those charges, as the only thing in the paperwork I have gotten thus far is for trespassing and peeping. At this point I have to prioritize so that I can get the most important stuff done before 8:30 am tomorrow. Can someone help me with that, and let me know exactly what will help me tomorrow or what I can expect?

cthom061

Court Appointed Attorney vs time

I know I could ask for an attorney at that point, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pleading guilty. What I'm really asking is if an attorney will benefit me enough to merit whatever extra time it will cost me (if any) by getting an attorney. How much faster is it if I just go and throw myself at the court with a guilty plea? What is the MINIMUM time and trips to court this will take? I know none of you know the specifics of my case and don't have any crystal balls handy, but what can I expect for punishment for a class 1 misdemeanor with no prior problems?

has918

Get a lawyer!!!

With a guilty plea on your own, I think the judge can give you whatever max sentence he/she wants. (be it probation, jail, fine, etc) You want a lawyer to work in your favor to reduce the sentence. I'm no court expert but I'd say 3-4 different court dates.- initial appearance (ask for public defender), plea date, plea sentencing...:confused:

Ozark_Sophist

Get a lawyer. You think only innocent people get lawyers? You are facing up to ONE YEAR in jail.

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

FlyingRon

You only are eligible for a court appointed attorney if you are indigent. If you are just unwilling to pay for one, you are on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">