• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two executors breakdown

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cher24

My sister and I are executors to our father's will. We have hired an attorney who has been taking forever. We probated November 1999 and its still not settled. All that is left after the taxes were paid is stock to be share equally to 3 siblings. Our brother is a major problem with our decisions and my sister listens to him even though we have an attorney because she believes his threats and bribes. There should be no fighting because it is divided equally amoung us, except my sister was verbally left a condo in florida by our father. Papers were to be signed to turn it over to her. I signed mine but we are not all talking at this point. My question is, What is the law in New jersey about dispursing a partial distribution. I want to transfer my shares over to my brikerage account. The Irs and state taxes have been paid but the release forms have not been returned. My attorney claims we can take one third of 75% of the assest, but my sister refuses to sign as the other executor because she claims fees for transfers are involved and she doesn't want multiple fees with the distribution. Does both executors have to sign to release funds, my broker says no but the estate broker says yes. What is the law in NJ.

ALawyer

PLEASE do not ask someone else to second guess a lawyer on the scene who knows the circumstances and the law. If you have a problem with the lawyer you hired, get another one. But this seems to be a personality conflict, and not a legal issue.

Usually a partial distribution makes sense, and here it may end the impasse. The extra "distribution costs" are trivial. I don't know where your sister is coming from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">