• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biosolids (sewage sludge)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bann424

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

In the area that I live, which is Brush Valley Twp, in Indiana county, Indiana, Pa.
Musser Nursery has 3 pine tree fields beside our residence, and like 5 other peoples homes. They are to be applying biosolids, which is the wet sludge from the sewage plant, onto these fields. Everyone in our neighborhood has well water, including myself. We live in the country with alot of wildlife and hunters. How can I get the spreading of this waste material stopped? Please advise

Properly treated biosolids are not hazardous and should not be much concern to you.

You may want to make sure your well is safely constructed, it needs to have a good surface seal and should be screened (where water actually enters the well) well below the water table. Surface contamination, biosolids or not can be a risk to a well if surface water can easily get into what you are drinking. A well should be on a higher spot so water drains away from it, there should have a good seal between the casing and the borehole, and the screen should be deep enough that you are not drinking the shallowest layer of water. If all of this is done the water you drink will have many feet of soil filter and many years of purification between entry at ground surface and your tap. It should also be well away from any septic tanks or drainfields. Most people who have wells have septic tanks also, I would worry more about septic tanks than biosolids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">