• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1500 to probate a simple will, really?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocks911

My Mother recently passed in Dallas county with a will. I helped my Mother with her will by visiting a local attorney and agreeing to be her executor. I had no idea that that was just the beginning.

I am one of five brothers and she left a house worth about $85,000 to the youngest boy and the rest of us agreed to that situation, we all signed paperwork which documented that we were disinterested in any claim.

My Mother passed a few months ago and now the attorney wants $1500 to probate the will, well at least he said that's about what is customary money wise.

$1500 seems like an awful lot to transfer title of a paid for property to my brother.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Farfalla

My Mother recently passed in Dallas county with a will. I helped my Mother with her will by visiting a local attorney and agreeing to be her executor. I had no idea that that was just the beginning.

I am one of five brothers and she left a house worth about $85,000 to the youngest boy and the rest of us agreed to that situation, we all signed paperwork which documented that we were disinterested in any claim.

My Mother passed a few months ago and now the attorney wants $1500 to probate the will, well at least he said that's about what is customary money wise.

$1500 seems like an awful lot to transfer title of a paid for property to my brother.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated
What state are you in?

How many attories did you interview?

Is that Dallas County, Texas? Does the $1,500 include the filing fees that have to be paid to the court, as well as the fees for publication to creditors?

If so, the fee is reasonable and very typical for Texas.

rocks911

Texas Pooh,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes is the answer to your questions, so I guess then $1500 is not unusual.

I just thought there was a process for a citizen to petition the court and get this done a lot cheaper.

Dandy Don

So just pay for an intial consultation or a free consultation with a probate attorney to find out if the probate process is simple enough for you to do yourself or visit your local library or bookstore to look at a book about the responsibilies of an executor. If you don't have time to take off of work to do it, then let an attorney handle it for you, and shop around to get different price quotes until you find one more reasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">