• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How may people do I need to start class action suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iminlove

Ameritech has charged me $367.00 for a local phone call. I have tried talking to customer service agents, supervisors, the attorney general and Indiana Utilities Regulatory Commission but haven't received any results. I live in Indianapolis, IN and started started browsing local complaint boards and have found over 500 similar compaints made in IN, and 2532 complaints made in varous other states such as MI, WI, TX, OH, and IL. If I can get all the information and these people together how do we go about starting a classs action suit against Ameritech for deceptive practices and billing?
Thanks in advance,
Marianne Gordon-Douglas

racer72

This info is from an older law book and some laws may have been changed but it should be helpful. You will have to file a lawsuit yourself in federal court just for your own case. You would then ask for a hearing for probable cause for a class action lawsuit. If the judge agrees that a class action lawsuit is appropriate, you will have a set period of time to advertise the case and obtain the necessary information for each potential defendant. To do all of this will require the facilities of a highly capable law firm and if you were to lose, the costs could be extremely high. Another way to do this, if you can prove federal and/or state laws have been violated, would be for everyone as a group to petition the attorney generals office for each affected state to file a lawsuit on behalf of the citizens of the state. If enough states get together on it, it could become a class action lawsuit. Most states in recent years have deregulated the telephone industry to promote competition but unfortunately, others have gotten into the game and are taking advantage of the rules. Unless you can prove they have broken a specific law, you will have a tough time proving your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">