• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer Complaint against Contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HouseOwnerNJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi,
We had a contractor do some repair and charge $1500 for the work which should have done in $300-400. I am planning to file a complaint in NJ on Consumer Complaint website. I paid the guy $1500 as a check in his name. He gave me a bill from his company which shows sales tax but I didn't pay sales tax. Would I get myself in any trouble if I file a complaint?

Any help will be appreciated.

BL

You're going to have to explain to the board , why you believe you were overcharged .

Let the Co. worry about taxes . Consumer pay what they are charged .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi,
We had a contractor do some repair and charge $1500 for the work which should have done in $300-400. I am planning to file a complaint in NJ on Consumer Complaint website. I paid the guy $1500 as a check in his name. He gave me a bill from his company which shows sales tax but I didn't pay sales tax. Would I get myself in any trouble if I file a complaint?

Any help will be appreciated.
So, you've got "buyer's remorse". The time to research pricing is BEFORE you enter a contract (verbal or otherwise).

HouseOwnerNJ

Not Buyers remorse

So, you've got "buyer's remorse". The time to research pricing is BEFORE you enter a contract (verbal or otherwise).
I had asked him before the work and he said he couldn't tell. I checked with several companies in the area and told him that they are charging so much. This job was very specific and about five different companies quoted the same price range.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had asked him before the work and he said he couldn't tell. I checked with several companies in the area and told him that they are charging so much. This job was very specific and about five different companies quoted the same price range.
The time to do that was BEFORE you contracted for the service.

BL

If the contractor is licensed they should give you a written estimate with a breakdown of materials -v- labor .

For you to go ahead with this contractor on a statement he couldn't tell you how much , was foolish on your part .

You could have gone with any of the 5 that stated a price .

Additionally you paid him .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">