• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to Pawn Shop Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiseguy

West Virginia

Some valuable items have been stolen from my elderly parents. I am sure that I know who the thief is but since it's a family member I want proof positive before pressing formal charges. Can a private citizen get access to pawn shop records?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

I am sure that I know who the thief is but since it's a family member I want proof positive before pressing formal charges.
You can't press charges, only the DA's office can do that. Your parents will have to file a police report, it will be given to the DA's office and a decision will be made whether to press charges or not.

Can a private citizen get access to pawn shop records?
Not without a subpoena. This would require the filing of a civil lawsuit. Based on the info you have supplied, you do not have the right to do so, only your parents do. If your parents file a police report and charges are brought up against the alledged thief, the DA's office would likely subpoena the records.

CavemanLawyer

You should file a police report and tell the officer(s) if there is any specific pawn shop you think the items might have been pawned to. You can go to pawn shops on your own and describe the property that was stolen and, if they have it, they can hold it while you go through the process of filing a report and filing a property hearing to get the property back. The pawn shops are not going to give you any records but the police department will get them easily if you file a complaint with them.

wiseguy

Thanks for the information. Just one more question. Are pawn shop owners prohibited by law from divulging their transaction records or may they release this information at their discretion?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">