• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repair scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mercedes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.
I took my car to a car mechanic that someone recommended me. After having the car for two weeks and a half he gave me an estimate of $1,300. It was a verbal estimate over the phone, he never gave me anything on paper. I accepted the estimate and told him to go ahead with the repair. After a couple of weeks I called him to know if the car was ready. He said that it would be ready in one more week. Another week passed and I called again. He said the same, one more week. This situation repeated for two month. He always said one more week and I kept calling twice a week. Finally the last time I called he said that the car was ready and that the bill was $2,080. I understand that an estimate is exactly that, an estimate and can vary maybe in a couple of hundred dollars, but from $1,300 to $2,080 I think is excessive. Also I talked to the mechanic at least 10 times and he never mentioned anything about the bill being more than the estimate he gave me. According to my understanding if the initial estimate changes and it is going to be more money the mechanic should have called me and let me know to get my approval, but I don't know what the law says.
I paid him $1,000 the day I picked up the car. I am willing to pay the remaining $300 but I don't think I should pay $2,080.
Should I sue him? Should I wait until he takes action? Since the estimate was given to me verbally and I don't have any paperwork do I have a case? How should I proceed?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">