• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adopting nephew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melissa Julia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state N.C., my nephew FL

My sister, who lives in Florida, has a 12 year old son. He is having loads of trouble at school academically, socially, behavior problems in class, he has been suspended several times this past school year. My sister works at night and her live in boyfriend is not supervising my nephew as he needs to be, thereby he is getting in trouble in the neighborhood also. His father has not been heard from in 10 years. My sister has been the sole caregiver. His father has never paid my sister child support. I am a teacher living in N.C. and have no children of my own. She and I feel he will receive more support/attention and much needed guidance living with me. She wants to turn over custody of him to me but has found that it is going to be very costly. Would adoption be an "easier", less expensive route?

Thank you for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state N.C., my nephew FL

My sister, who lives in Florida, has a 12 year old son. He is having loads of trouble at school academically, socially, behavior problems in class, he has been suspended several times this past school year. My sister works at night and her live in boyfriend is not supervising my nephew as he needs to be, thereby he is getting in trouble in the neighborhood also. His father has not been heard from in 10 years. My sister has been the sole caregiver. His father has never paid my sister child support. I am a teacher living in N.C. and have no children of my own. She and I feel he will receive more support/attention and much needed guidance living with me. She wants to turn over custody of him to me but has found that it is going to be very costly. Would adoption be an "easier", less expensive route?

Thank you for your help.
No, adoption would be much MORE expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">