• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toshiba laptop still doesn't work correctly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I purchased a laptop on 07/10/2007. I purchased the extended warranty offered thru the store.

Early May 2008, my computer decided it should NOT boot up at all. After a length call to Toshiba, it was decided it needed service. All I could say was "duh". I paid to ship it to a factory authorized location.

I paid to have the data stored onto CD's since I didn't have a recent backup (my bad.)

I picked up the laptop on 06/07/2008. When I tried to hook onto the internet, I couldn't get it onto the Network. The cable company insisted that I needed the installation CD to get it to work. I couldn't understand why I would have needed to since I didn't need to when I purchased the laptop on July 2007. I get the CD and I still couldn't hook into the internet.

I call Toshiba back and explain that I had the following items wrong:
* the computer was not recognizing the ethernet port
* my front USB port did not work
* that the computer would not stay running if not hooked into a plug (battery issue).

They agree to send a shipping box and now send it off to Toshiba depot. I land up leaving for vacation WITHOUT my laptop. When I get back, computer has arrived.

Yippee, I can hook into the internet. Yes, the front USB port can be used for my mouse. I noticed that the battery stays at 79%. I know that I have to make time to call Toshiba.
Last night, I had to move the laptop, so I unplug it from the wall. It promptly dies. They did not fix the battery issue.

When I call Toshiba, they tell me that I am out of warranty. Excuse me, but you didn't fix it when I sent it in while under warranty.

After much argument, I get an ticket number and the number for warranty escalation. I can't even leave a message on that number. Not looking good here.

What are my options if I can't get Toshiba to honor their warranty and their work?

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, we were on the phone for excessive length, again. Guess it pays to be a PITA. I am being shipped a new battery.

They agreed that I had complained about it WAYYYYYY before the expiration of my warranty and that they had not corrected the issue.

The part that gets me is that they somehow expected me to tell THEM what to fix on my computer. I gave them ample description of the problem. I received no followup calls for further clarification. They just didn't fix it. They are the experts - that's why I sent it to them. A customer should NOT have to explain how to fix a computer to an expert.

BL

It does pay to be a PITA on warranty issues . It wasn't until I complained through the OAG consumer Dept , that I was able to speak with the warranty consumer representative for the warranty Co . By way of three part call between me , they warranty Co., and the Store the PC was bought from . The Store manager stated it's not their problem and it's between me and the warranty Co.

After arguing that the PC after many repairs under warranty should be replaced , they said in " good faith " they would send me a refurbished better PC , as mine was no longer made .

They tried to say the warranty period had ended , but I reminded them I complained about the same problem before the warranty expired .

So yes being aggressively asserted , it paid off.

Ginny, you had mentioned you purchased extended inventory through the store. Do you mind divulging which store it was? I'm always skeptical about purchasing the the extended warranty on electronics. In the end I find myself knocking my own head after the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty has expired. Sounds like you were able to get things repaired based on the extended warranty and I would like to see which store since you were successful with your claim.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm still working off the original warranty. Since the item was well under warranty when it was sent in, I was NOT taking NO for an answer.

I was without a computer for nearly 2 months. I expect to have a working computer.

In any case, the saga does continue.

The Toshiba technical support guy very specifically said that they would put a "hold" or "authorization" on a credit card. I asked twice, "would I be charged for this?" "no, it just in case you don't send the battery back to us."

Okay, so I give him the number from my debit card. Alright guys. I knew better. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER give them you checking account information. I'm sure you can guess it. I was CHARGED.

So, being the general PITA that I can be certain times of the month, I call Toshiba AGAIN. We're sorry but we can't reverse this. Excuse me? I don't think so. Girl would not give me to a supervisor. I did get address to Customer Relations. There will be scathing letter written on this. I'm of course letting you all know how bad a Toshiba can be. Feel free to tell all your friends.

Another call BACK to technical support. There is supposed to be a refund going on my checking account.

BL

Did you get the new battery ?

If the do a hop scotch , please make a complaint to your local OAG , that's what got me results .

TinkerBelleLuvr

Interesting enough, I did call Office Depot folks. Anything past this, I would be using the extended warranty. I explained what had been happening. THEY would be in a position to replace my computer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">