• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal inheritance, no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doublezero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Last year a friend of mine brought her car to my house for winter storage. It was agreed that she would remove it by the end of May. She died unexpectedly in the middle of May without a will. There was a verbal understanding that upon her death the car would go to me. This was known by everyone that knew us, including the sole heir, her daughter.
The daughter has stated to me that she wants me to have the car but cannot transfer the title until the court authorizes her to do so.
What legal rights do I have in this situation?
I have been told that our storage agreement terminated upon her death, and that I can charge reasonable storage fees to the estate from the date of death until the matter is resolved.
How true is this?
What I want is to obtain the title to the car and have it transferred into my name, per my late friend's wishes.
How can I go about this?
The car is not a valuable item, it is worth less than $1000 and does not currently run. The only value it has is sentimenal.
Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

if the heir intends on transferring the title when able to, what is your big rush. Let her do as she said she would and all will be well with the world.

as to charging the estate? tough call; you have been storing it for free up until now. You would at least be required to notify the executor or whatever the car must be removed or storage fees will begin.

doublezero

Verbal Inheritance, no will

There actually is no big hurry. The reason I am looking at my legal options is that I heard through the grapevine that nothing is being done to settle the estate. I just don't want to end up with a car and no way to get a title for it. Right now I am hearing several stories from several different people and I just don't want the situation to get complicated.
Logic and reason are telling me to just sit back and let it run it's course, and that's what I plan to do.
As for the storage fees, one of the local 'experts' says that by doing so, the amount accumulated will quickly exceed the value of the car and the heir will have no interest in paying for it. I can then request the title in lieu of payment.
I think that sounds like a load of hogwash, however I do know that in Ohio a repair or storage facility can obtain title for 'abandoned' vehicles by following a specific proceedure.
This option as far as I am aware is not available to a private individual, which I am.
Thanks for your reply.

justalayman

there are ways to do what you want as to claiming title, if all works out like you plan. The problem with such plans is, you do not actually control the situation and once you put it in to action, you alienate the other person, that, as it appears, is willing to follow what you were told by the decedent.

You cannot simply and unilaterally start charging for storage. You must notify the executor you intend on charging and give the the opportunity to either refuse and claim the vehicle, refuse and let it set, or pay.

and be aware, I have not researched it, but as you are not a repair facility, the laws are often specifically written to deal with the situations they experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">