• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Release Forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnnish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL (but estate pertains to NY). I've been looking through the forums hoping I'd see a similar question but if so I missed it. My mother died in Jan 05, shortly after which time I signed the ppw for my stepfather to be the exector of the estate because she died without a will. Being down here I assumed it was a logical choice rather than consider arguing the point despite no real love-loss between us. To my knowledge,back then, the "estate" was the house I grew up in which he and my estranged brother still live in now(my stepfather only moved in when they married in 93, irrelevant, but worth mentioning). Only 2 months ago I decided it'd been quite a while(over 3 yrs) and figured maybe things shouldn't take quite that long to settle(before then I never pushed, mainly let it be). I sent a quick note to both him and the lawyer handling the probate to mention I'd moved a few miles since Mom died and gave my new address "should you need to contact me" I mainly wanted to leave no excuse for anyone to say "we tried to find you, sorry we left you out".

I did just 3 weeks ago get an "Informal Estate Accounting" and "Acknowledgment of Distribution and Release Letter" by overnight mail. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised to see Mom had a little bit of stock options and I could expect a check for about $30,000 or so once all 'executed releases' were received. I'd spoken to the lawyer when I got the forms just to clarify some points on it for my own piece of mind-I wanted to be sure I wasn't signing any rights to the house away- and she alleviated some fears I had of both my brother and stepfather making things difficult for me(they are both a bit pissed at me when Mom put her 401(k) in mine and my kids names only). But my next question is-and I was hoping for a answer from someone my stepfather isn't paying, as nice as the lawyer seemed-should my brother, or even my stepfather(who isn't hurting for money, like I slightly am) be spiteful enough to not return the Release Letters in any sort of reasonable amount of time, do I have any recourse but to sit and wait? I signed and returned it 2 days later. I followed up a week later and the lawyer mention she is still trying to get a hold of my brother. So for all I know he is crazy enough to wait on getting his portion of that money if it meant it would hurt me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">