• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New vehicle, License Plates being held (TX)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRJJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I purchased a vehicle and put 500 cash down. I was handed what I was told was my "receipt". I left the dealership. Days later, the salesman called me and told me that they did not have my down payment, they need another check. I told him I didn't pay with a check, it was cash. Several conversations followed in which I went over that night with them. I was asked for the deposit, I took it out of my wallet while the finance guy was making prints. I put the cash on the desk, underneath the notebook they had given me, with the corners of the cash sticking out. When I got up to leave, I grabbed my notebook and left. The sales guy walked me out and helped to transfer my belongings from my vehicle to the new vehicle. There was a janitor in the building, outside the office. The finance guy opened the gate (they were closed) to let me out. That was May 31st. Now its July 19th, and I still do not have my license plates. They are "holding" them until I pay $500 again. I have no license plates!
Any help is appreciated!

JETX

I was asked for the deposit, I took it out of my wallet while the finance guy was making prints. I put the cash on the desk, underneath the notebook they had given me, with the corners of the cash sticking out. When I got up to leave, I grabbed my notebook and left.
That all seems VERY suspicious. I suggest you either:
1) Pay them the amount you agreed, or
2) Show them the signed receipt they gave you for the cash payment.

occharge

I was handed what I was told was my "receipt".
What happened to that?
& what did it turn out to be if it wasn't a "receipt"?

I put the cash on the desk, underneath the notebook they had given me, with the corners of the cash sticking out.
That is the oddest, starngest & most twisted way of making a cash deposit!!!!!

Did you check the bottom of that notebook? Sometimes they're really "sticky" when new... Maybe the $500 in cash is still there!!!

There was a janitor in the building, outside the office.
AHUH!!!!
How dare he be there to do his job after the dealership had closed...

RRJJ

occharge- "What happened to that?
& what did it turn out to be if it wasn't a "receipt"?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

I still have that sheet, on the top it says it is a "Buyer's Order".

occharge- "That is the oddest, starngest & most twisted way of making a cash deposit!!!!!"

Strange? I don't know why it would be. I don't usually pay for things until the price is agreed upon and I'm going to accept the terms. (?) I also didn't sign the paperwork until I was happy with the terms either... Call me strange! ::shrug::
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

occharge-"Did you check the bottom of that notebook? Sometimes they're really "sticky" when new... Maybe the $500 in cash is still there!!!"

Um, I looked -inside- the notebook, because they asked me to. Other than that, I found it hard to believe that (5) $100 dollar bills would all stick to a notebook. Not likely.

~~~~~~~~~~~

occharge-"AHUH!!!!
How dare he be there to do his job after the dealership had closed..."

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

~~~~~~~~~~~
JETX - "That all seems VERY suspicious. I suggest you either:
1) Pay them the amount you agreed, or
2) Show them the signed receipt they gave you for the cash payment."

One "strange" and one "suspicious" Do other people really just hand over their down payments before reaching a set price?

JETX

Do other people really just hand over their down payments before reaching a set price?
You're 'explanation' gets even more confusing (and suspicious).
No, most people don't hand over 'down payments' before a set price... and NO ONE said they do (only in your skewed 'explanation').

MOST people, after 'reaching a set price' HAND the payment to the salesman (whether cash or check). They don't 'hide' it under something then take the 'something' with them and claim that the deposit was made. Even more common is to get a receipt IMMEDIATELY upon payment.
You (very suspiciously) did neither. Pay the dealer.

occharge

I also didn't sign the paperwork until I was happy with the terms either... Call me strange! ::shrug::
You are strange!!!

Um, I looked -inside- the notebook, because they asked me to.
Did you really have to actually physically look -inside- the notebook to ascertain that the money wasn't there???

Other than that, I found it hard to believe that (5) $100 dollar bills would all stick to a notebook. Not likely
I was being sarcastic about the notebook being sticky!

RRJJ

Whatever.

You two are a complete waste of time. Don't you have something better to do, instead of passing out judgement & jumping to your own conclusions?
I came on here for ADVICE in regards to my plates, not to be called names or be given the third degree. I have lots of reasons for doing things the way I did. I don't need your b.s. Go pick on your families. I have enough stress already. And even if i could afford to fork out an additional $500, I wouldn't. You wouldn't if you were in my situation either. So go ahead and sit there and think whatever you want to, makes no difference to me what your opinions are. They are anything BUT helpful.

JETX

You two are a complete waste of time. Don't you have something better to do, instead of passing out judgement & jumping to your own conclusions?
I came on here for ADVICE in regards to my plates, not to be called names or be given the third degree. I have lots of reasons for doing things the way I did. I don't need your b.s. Go pick on your families. I have enough stress already. And even if i could afford to fork out an additional $500, I wouldn't. You wouldn't if you were in my situation either. So go ahead and sit there and think whatever you want to, makes no difference to me what your opinions are. They are anything BUT helpful.
ROTFLMAO!!!
You are clearly attempting a scam. They won't fall for it. Either pay them the money you 'stole'... or get your ass sued. No problem either way for me.
Have a hap-hap-happy day. Oh, and get your head out of your ass.

occharge

Its actually pretty sad for you to think that you can pull a stunt like the one you tried...

But then to go online and post your story on a public forum expecting others to side with you when you have made no statement whatsoever as to when, how or to whom you gave the $500 in cash.... Now that is pretty pathetic.

Now you're acting all heart broken & hurt... You should actually consider yourself lucky that only 2 people laid the truth on you...

Whether you can admit it now or whether it will take you years to face reality, JETX gave you the best advice you will get anywhere; here, I undelined & bolded it for your reading enjoyment!

Either pay them the money you 'stole'... or get your ass sued.
Good luck... & keep us posted, will ya?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">