• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting car deposit back for undisclosed fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccc712

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee, Alabama

My husband was searching for a hard to find new car and he called a place in Alabama (we live in TN) that had the car he wanted coming in soon and he haggled them down to a good price. They said they needed a $1000 deposit to hold it for him so he gave them his credit card number over the phone (nothing was signed). Later on I heard from friends that some salesmen will try to tack on excessive dealership related fees to make up for the lower price. If this happens, can I protest the fees we didn't agree to and get the deposit back? If it matters, it was not disclosed that the deposit was non-refundable or refundable, and nothing was signed. I know the price did not include sales tax or state related fees, its dealership fees I want to avoid.

Basically I want to be prepared with my legal rights of getting the deposit back if they try to tack on a big fee. I can threaten to dispute the charge with my credit card company, call the BBB, or post bad reviews all over the internet but they might not buy it unless there is some legal action I know I can take to get the deposit back. Legally can I get the deposit back or am I stuck?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">