• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a foreign company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Locksley12

What is the name of your state (Virginia)
I purchased a generator from Home Depot. The generator was installed by an authorized agent of the company that manufactured the generator. Approximately one year from the installation date the power went out and the generator took over. The regulator in the generator failed and caused a power surge. The power surge caused $450.00 worth of damages. The generator came with a two year warranty. The generator was repaired by the authorized agent and the part was sent to the manufacturer. The manufacturer refurses to compensate me. I can not find the registered agent for the company in Virginia. How do I sue this company if I can not find the registered agent?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (Virginia)
I purchased a generator from Home Depot. The generator was installed by an authorized agent of the company that manufactured the generator. Approximately one year from the installation date the power went out and the generator took over. The regulator in the generator failed and caused a power surge. The power surge caused $450.00 worth of damages. The generator came with a two year warranty. The generator was repaired by the authorized agent and the part was sent to the manufacturer. The manufacturer refurses to compensate me. I can not find the registered agent for the company in Virginia. How do I sue this company if I can not find the registered agent?
Sue Home Depot...much easier and they are just as liable.

CraigFL

Can you really sue Home Depot for consequential damages? I would assume this is written out in the warranty papers...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you really sue Home Depot for consequential damages? I would assume this is written out in the warranty papers...
It would totally depend on the terms of the warranty, the policies given at the time of sale and the applicable laws in the OP's state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">