• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents telling child they can adopt her?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (texas)

my in laws are my step-daughter's legal guardians and have been since age 1 almost 2 years old. they got custody of her in Aug of 1993 and she turned 2 in dec. of 1993.

both parents have possionery conseratorship.
grandparents are joint custodial managing conseratory guardians? sorry if mispelled or in wrong order.

well she is sixteen now. her dad and i are getting divorce. we live 2 blocks away from her. our relationship is good with her and stb ex in-laws. her and her dad are going thru a tough time, as well him with his parents. her mom lives in californa, good relationship with both ex in-laws and daughter.

anyway in-laws are telling her they can adopt her and her parents can't say anything if that is what she wants? that is not true right?
they have to sign over rights of the child to grandparents.
they are telling her it would be better to adopt her so she will be entitled to grandpa's benefits and my mother law would get benefits for taken care of child as well?

any info would help. can they adopt her after she turns 18 without hurting so many people? and putting parents in the position of signing over rights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When she turns 18 they can adopt without getting anyone's permission (except those involved, of course)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">