• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repair gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daffan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
8/06 Heard loud pop and lost power. Neighbor (works with Nascar) put a bar connecting the gas pedal to the carburetor. I have '69 Firebird so had to order correct part.
9/06 Same thing happened. Was towed to mechanic and gave him the part I had ordered. But I was told I needed a rebuilt engine. Month later get car. Shaking violently, loud knocking sounds and stalling. Weeks later they give me the car back with a button dangling from wires. Acted as choke. Don't know if they did unauthorized work because I was told by other folks, there was no reason to have this. Finally I get the car back less the button. More of the same shaking, noises, etc. Now they tell me I need a new carburetor, engine is fine. This goes on for months. I finally get a new carb. but I'll be darn if they still don't insist it is my carb. They also charge me for changing oil and filter 2 x's within 2 months. Two other mechanics say I have misfiring cylinders and carb is fine. Call Bureau of Automotive Repair and have new mech take engine apart with BAR taking pics. Seems my oil was thick and dark, dirty, some of the Long Block engine rebuild was not done, had old parts that I was assured would break in no time and some new parts, all of which were wrong size. Couldn't get good compression because the parts were wrong. Old mechanic refused to pay. Made an offer via BAR but far to little. Too much money now for small claims. Oh, they also spray painted the top of my engine, while it in the car, getting it all of over wires, hoses, etc of my lovely firebird. 10 years of carbon buildup on block. Didn't bother to clean it. I also took photos and have parts that new mech replaced. Old mech did not give me parts I requested. Had old mech put in writing that engine was grand, it was carb. Any help?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">