• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ruined trip due to no luggage for 2 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peppers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mo

Hi there

My parents have been in Egypt for the last 2 months with no luggage--to take care of a deceased parents estate.
Their airline was Air France who claims they had nothing to do with the lost luggage and claim the bags were stollen at the arriving airport in Cairo.

My dad wants to sue for 4k worth of lost stuff (for which they have recipts) and total compensation of the trip as well as lost wages for taking time off of work for the ruined time off...and then some. In total he is looking at 30k in damages.

I my self have tried talking to customer service at Air France and also getting the same run around. Their people are really not the least bit concerned about the situation and at one point even said "that's what you get for using connecting flights...next time fly direct".

Is there a viable lawsuit here or will my dad be wasting more time and money trying to re-coup his losses?

Thanks
Nora

Silverplum

Hi there

My parents have been in Egypt for the last 2 months with no luggage--to take care of a deceased parents estate.
Their airline was Air France who claims they had nothing to do with the lost luggage and claim the bags were stollen at the arriving airport in Cairo.

My dad wants to sue for 4k worth of lost stuff (for which they have recipts) and total compensation of the trip as well as lost wages for taking time off of work for the ruined time off...and then some. In total he is looking at 30k in damages.

I my self have tried talking to customer service at Air France and also getting the same run around. Their people are really not the least bit concerned about the situation and at one point even said "that's what you get for using connecting flights...next time fly direct".

Is there a viable lawsuit here or will my dad be wasting more time and money trying to re-coup his losses?

Thanks
Nora
I don't see what this has to do with US law.

HomeGuru

Hi there

Thanks
Nora
**A: is this a US Law question?

seniorjudge

Google Warsaw Convention for all kinds of info on this subject.

The notice is printed on every airline ticket but, of course, no one ever reads it.

justalayman

Hey, I think I saw their luggage in Chicago last time I went through. Who knows where it is now.

After you listen to the judge, could you take the time to explain how losing the luggage should result in a completely free trip?

Ever hear of mitigating damages? If there was something in the baggage that was crucial, and the main, neigh, only reason for the trip, you may have an arguable point. If not, you have nothing other than some lost luggage and somebody not willing to buy what they need to enjoy their vacation. and yes, I said vacation. After you said this:

as lost wages for taking time off of work for the ruined time off
I would think that if it were only for the deceased parents situation, ruining it would not be a possibility as the reason itself would be tough to beat as to making it a tough trip.

Get real guy; your folks have been in Egypt for the last 2 months. They have had more than enough time to purchase what they need (I guess they must still be running around in their one and only pair of underwear) and you have had time enough to senf them whatever they need. Shame on you for not helping them out. Here, they have been in that one pair of underwear this entire time and all you do is come here trying to find out how they can make this a free trip.

btw; if this works out for them, let me know. I have been wanting to go on an all expense paid trip for awhile. I'm sure I can figure out a way to claim my luggage was lost.

daffan

I am not an attorney. I just felt I needed to comment, after having read numerous posts in the last few days how much this site has changed. People used to offer decent suggestions. Now it just seems like a place where folks practice their sarcasm.

Unfortunately, most of which I have been able to find is just more complaints about AirFrance, not many solutions. However, the first thing I would do is file a complaint, not call and if possible all through a local office if there is one. Make certain there is proof of receipt. Usually, a lawsuit can be filed where the transaction took place, so if he caught an Airfrance flight in US, he might be able to just sue them locally. 30k is ridiculous though. That is just "I'm really mad" thinking. If he really wanted to get his money back, small claims could probably both get his money and lower his blood pressure even though they surely lost a customer for life. If you keep it simple, i.e., "I lost my luggage, can I sue Airfrance locally", you will probably be able to get several attorneys to give you some good info on what the jurisdiction is and perhaps some other pointers. But file an official complaint first with Airfrance if you (or your parents) haven't done so already.

seniorjudge

I am not an attorney. I just felt I needed to comment, after having read numerous posts in the last few days how much this site has changed. People used to offer decent suggestions. Now it just seems like a place where folks practice their sarcasm.

Unfortunately, most of which I have been able to find is just more complaints about AirFrance, not many solutions. However, the first thing I would do is file a complaint, not call and if possible all through a local office if there is one. Make certain there is proof of receipt. Usually, a lawsuit can be filed where the transaction took place, so if he caught an Airfrance flight in US, he might be able to just sue them locally. 30k is ridiculous though. That is just "I'm really mad" thinking. If he really wanted to get his money back, small claims could probably both get his money and lower his blood pressure even though they surely lost a customer for life. If you keep it simple, i.e., "I lost my luggage, can I sue Airfrance locally", you will probably be able to get several attorneys to give you some good info on what the jurisdiction is and perhaps some other pointers. But file an official complaint first with Airfrance if you (or your parents) haven't done so already.
Totally wrong.

As I accurately told the poster in one of the earlier posts:

Google Warsaw Convention for all kinds of info on this subject.

The notice is printed on every airline ticket but, of course, no one ever reads it.

justalayman

Sarcasm? just a bit. The last line. Everything else I was dead serious about.

Please explain why the folks in Egypt would be due anything beyond what was lost. Not even saying that is recoverable but from what was posted, how would they have a claim for anything beyond the lost luggage and contents?

HomeGuru

**A: could it be that I have resumed posting in the last few days?

############

**A: read the rules of this site. Did the OP follow the rules?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">