• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about payment and receipts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

A tree service contractor just removed a tree from my property. I was originally told the cost would be $100 plus tax. When he came to collect the money, I gave him the cash since I didn't have enough in my checking account. He then said there was no sales tax if I paid in cash. But then I asked for a receipt since I paid cash. He started to protest, saying that the tree has already been cut down. The thing is, the receipt is for MY protection to prove that I paid him so he couldn't come back and say I never paid him anything, and I wouldn't have proof without a cancelled check that I actually did. He ended up writing me a receipt.

I don't know if there's an unwritten rule about this or not, but I was just wondering if maybe there is. If a contractor doesn't charge me tax since I paid cash, should I have asked for a receipt? Or should I have not done that? I imagine that if I pay cash, and there's nothing in writing, then he could avoid paying taxes on that income. So by asking for a receipt, was I somehow wrong? Should I have just not done that since he didn't charge me the sales tax?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">