• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance/Pension Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destin101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My father passed away recently. My sister and I are both named beneficiaries on the life insurance policy (through his work) and his pension plan. It is a 50/50 split on both.

My mother was but she dies 2 years ago and my father updated the beneficiary info last year. We were always lised as beneficiaries.

From what I understand, the life insurance and the pension go directly to us. We both reside outside of PA. Is this the case?

My father has little debt and the after the sale of the house and other assests, there will still be plenty left over to pay for any debts.

Also, my father was on LTD through his work. He received one last check(he received monthly checks) for the month he died. It was made out directly to me instead of him since I have been the on in contact with his former company about his passing and his pension and life insurance.

Should this check go to the estate until it is settled or since it was made out directrly to me does this fall outside of the estate? My father had a will and it is a 50/50 split on everything. The will be going into probate next week.

Thanks,

seniorjudge

Q: From what I understand, the life insurance and the pension go directly to us. We both reside outside of PA. Is this the case?

A: Yes.

Q: Should this check go to the estate until it is settled or since it was made out directrly to me does this fall outside of the estate? My father had a will and it is a 50/50 split on everything. The will be going into probate next week.

A: I don't think so; just split it half and half and you should be okay (especially since you say all his debts will be paid).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">