• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about "contract" with DirecTV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have been a loyal DirecTV customer for about seven years now, have had no problems, not even a late payment. I recently moved to a different apartment and asked to have my service moved to the new address. They actually told me since I was such a good customer that they would waive the moving fee ($50) and install my service for free. I also asked for a new HD Digital video recorder box for my living room. They told me I would have to purchase the box which I have no problem with. However, I made it very clear to the salesperson on the phone that I would be unable to purchase the box in full, and I would need them to put me into a payment plan. The salesman agreed and said that each month I would be paying my full amount, plus an additional amount to go towards the box. My roommate warned me ahead of time to get the salesman to state everything pertaining to the order very clearly, therefore I literally had him confirm everything about 15 times on the phone. About a month later, I get a phone call from their delinquency department saying that I was past due. I made my full payment plus the additional payment towards the box on time so I was pretty confused. They said that there was no payment plan, and that I had to pay for the box in full immediately or get shut off. I argued with the woman for a while and demanded that she investigate further because I know I made an agreement for a payment plan. She then said that the only thing she could do was give me until the end of the month to pay the full amount. Less than a week later my service was shut off. I called and asked for a supervisor, the supervisor was very uncooperative and pretty much accused me of lying about this whole payment plan. I got so frustrated that I told him I no longer wanted to do business with them and to send me a pre-paid mailing box to return the dvr unit. About a week later my roommate said that even know we were 100% right about our situation, that we would just "bite the bullet" and pay the whole balance off and move on. I reluctantly called them back and told them that I was ready to pay the entire balance. They said I then owed over $500 because I was being charged an early termination fee for breaking my contract. I begged and pleaded with them to just let me pay the balance and move on but they said that the only way I was going to get turned back on was to pay the whole amount including their early termination fee. I explained that I never agreed to any contract and they said that it's automatic because I moved. I then told them to mail me proof that I agreed to a contract and they said "no problem". A month later and no proof has arrived yet. They have now sent a collection agency after me, they call multiple times a day. I remember years ago when I worked for a telemarketing company, we used to sign people up for contracts all the time. I remember specifically being trained that all contracts had to be recorded in their entirety, and that the customer had to very clearly agree to the terms, or the whole thing was null and void. I also remember something about customers being "slammed", meaning being put into a contract without their consent, being highly illegal in the State of New Jersey. At this point I don't know what to do, I keep getting more bills from them, and for some reason the amount of the bill keeps climbing. I finally sent an email to their "President's office" and got a call back. They apologized for what happened, but said the only thing they could do for me was waive the early termination fee if I came back as a customer. I don't think they understood what I said when I told them that I called Dish Network, which I am now in a 2 year contract with. If I go back to DirecTV they will charge me an early termination fee (I wouldn't want to go back anyway). I have read on the internet that there are a lot of class action lawsuits against DirecTV but i'm not too sure if any would pertain towards my situation. Doesn't direcTV have to prove that I agreed to a contract? If the contract was verbal, then aren't they violating their end (since I made a verbal agreement about the payment plan)?

It's almost idiotic what they did because you would think that when I called back to just pay the whole thing off they would have said "hey look, here's a good opportunity to just get this thing paid off and move on", instead they had to be stubborn and stand their ground so instead of it getting paid off, they got nothing from me. Also, I have called this collection agency and notified them that I no longer want to accept phone calls and to put me on their "do not call list", but they keep calling, isn't that illegal too?

Just to update. I spoke with the office of the president of DirecTV and they said that the "contract" is on the back of the work order that was signed when the system was installed. My roommate, who signed the work order had no idea. He said the technition said "this is the work order showing that I showed up today and installed your service, just initial here". They said they have put in a request for this "work order" to be pulled from their records so they could prove that we agreed to a contract. So far I have heard nothing from them.

To everyone who reads these posts, if you know what's best for you do not do business with this company, they are liars. All you have to do is search google and you will literally find tons of sites where people have complained about being scammed. Although what they are doing may not be illegal, they like to sit on the fence between illegal and legal. They will disclose anything to you unless they know they are legally required to. I have been in business for myself for years and have always been completely up front and honest with every person I deal with, and I have been rewarded handsomely for it. If you want dish service I would recommend Dish Network. I have had Dish network for a couple of months and so far not one lie, NOT ONE!!! I have no problems with my service, or equipment, the programming is great and the dvr is awesome. STAY AWAY FROM DIRECTTV THEY ARE LIARS!!!!

wow, still no proof of a contract, but the early termination fee still stands. It's so amazing, it's like just because they said we signed a contract, that were bound to it. This is an amazing new concept. I'm going to open up a cell phone store, but create a new type of contract. As soon as you walk in the store someone is going to walk up to you and say "by walking through the front door, you just agreed to a 2 year contract, here's your phone". I mean, since DirecTV can get away with this contract scam without having any proof whatsoever, why can't I?

SHOOT I just put down 250 bucks to hav direct tv installed next week. oh lawdy
if it hasnt been installed yet you can back out, trust me you will thank me later. Get Dish Network, you will not have to pay for any equipment, and guess what, if anything breaks, they replace it. I've had Comcast, DirecTV and Now dish network and out off all the different high definition dvr's i've used, I love the one from dish network the most.

Oh and by the way, I still have not gotten any proof of a signed contract from them, but they still refuse to waive the early termination fee. It's almost like they literally have no awareness of the law, or common sense!!

I have gone from really ticked off, to amazed. Yes, I am actually amazed at the ignorance, wow, I just can barely fathom it. I feel like God himself could step down from the heavens and tell them to their face that they are wrong, and they would still stand their ground.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
DirectTV and Dish are just about the same. For that matter, so are the cable companies, they're just bigger.

I don't know, in my experience and based on what i've seen on the internet, looks like DirecTV is much worse. So far I have in detail kept track of every little thing about my dish account, trying to catch them in a lie. So far not one lie, everything is exactly as presented, and I did not have to purchase any equipment. There are some complaints about dish network, but Directv has way more, in everything they do they use unethical business practices. I also happen to know that a lot of users of any sattelite service don't realize that with a satellite, you will experience outages here and there, and they ignore that and complain at the first problem. I have a dish and expect that sometimes I may have an outage, it was way less outages that I had with comcast!

mjordan10

comments/suggestions anyone?
If you have the unauthorized charge showing up as a visa debit or credit card charge call your card issuer and dispute the charge as unauthorized.
That is what I'm doing. Directv has to provide proof of the charges then.
Hope this helps-
I can't believe the federal government allows companies like this to operate.:mad:
Help spread the word about Directv-
They are scumbag, deceptive foreign owned as*holes!

Last edited:

thiton

Be careful with Dish Network too! I had the same problems with them. Although after 3 months, it did get corrected, thanks to a nice person who understood and wanted to help!

VeronicaLodge

I've had both - no difference for me.
Ive had both too and I would say dishnetwork is 1000% better than direct tv. i hate direct tv. i have had dishnetwork for almsot 5 years now and have never had a problem with a bill, with customer service, or a work order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">