• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation/Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Malachai

I currently live in Colorado. Question is: I have been informed by my soon-to-be family that my future brother and sister-in-law are telling people that I abuse drugs and that I abuse my fiancé. This, of course, does not sit well with myself or my new family due to the nature of the claims, and the fact that none of this is, in any way, true. Do I have any basis for litigation, or would I be better off "scaring" them by having a lawyer send them a "letter of intent" on a slander suit? Also, could I go about filing a petition myself in Arapahoe County, CO?

JETX

Your best bet is to just ignore the accusers and to ask the others to judge you by your actions, not by what they hear.

Then, live up to their expectations. The truth will show through soon enough.

Any further attempts at 'scare tactics' or an aggressive attitude will just fuel the continuing rumors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">