• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right thing to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

I was married for 20+ years. Seperated 8 of those years. Owned and operated a business. Leased business before seperation. All's well. Divorced. All's still well. Ex passes away. Now girlfriend to ex wants business. Says she has POA with his signature (supposedly notorized by her father 3 months before Ex's death) that entitles her to receive all monies from business for their lease. Property is paid for. Business is still active. Ex death was due to Cancer. He and I always had agreement that I would inherit business since I worked business myself for 12 + years. Do not know if she ever was on the property. Why would she be entitled? She can have car and condo. Advice?

anteater

You know, brevity is not always what it is cracked up to be. The occasional pronoun does wonders.

He and I always had agreement that I would inherit business since I worked business myself for 12 + years.
Where is that written? What happend to property in the divorce? Are you still an owner?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Has anyone filed to open up probate to handle his estate? Did he leave a last will and testament or not?

Contact the business in person and by certified letter and notify them NOT to give proceeds of any income to the girlfriend since she is not entitled to them. And you need to take steps to register the business in your name and also see how the business bank accounts are set up--make sure they don't have girlfriend's name on them as joint account co-owner or beneficiary.

Don't tell anyone, but the document/POA that girlfriend has may not have any legal validity as far as the business income is concerned. If you have any doubts or questions about that, consult with a business law attorney or probate attorney to be sure.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">