• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex sold me laptop w/only trial software & expired warrantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fprock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon
My ex sold me a computer I thought was virtually new ( it was sealed and in the box) Turns out the had computer blown up and the motherboard got replaced, ergo the unbroken seal. The warrantee was expired and though I may have to pay for assuming the laptop was newer with an existing warrantee, a new situation arose. The entire Microsoft operating system was on trial, I can't even create a Word document anymore without having to purchase it for $300, I paid $400 for the laptop itself. I've told him the situation on voicemail and he won't return my calls. Can I take him to small claims court? If not, can you recommend any other approach?

racer72

It appears you got a $400 laptop, new basic laptops with cheap operating systems such as Linux start at about $600. First, Microsoft does not have a trial operating system. You can purchase many different MS Office products that contain Word for well under $100. But the main reason you will not win a lawsuit is your apparent lack of knowledge of computers, you state this yourself.

I thought was virtually new
Next time make sure.

BL

Microsoft OS is not a trial .

There is open office for free , although not by MS.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It appears you got a $400 laptop, new basic laptops with cheap operating systems such as Linux start at about $600. First, Microsoft does not have a trial operating system. You can purchase many different MS Office products that contain Word for well under $100. But the main reason you will not win a lawsuit is your apparent lack of knowledge of computers, you state this yourself.

Next time make sure.
Actually, you can use MS Vista as a 'trial' for about 30 days before it needs to be activated. Same with the MS Office products.

If you have a legitimate key (aka COA-Certificate of Authenticity) on the bottom of the computer, call the manufacturer of the system and see if they will send you a set of recovery CDs/DVDs. That will allow you to reinstall and activate the OS with a good key.

As far as the MS Office, you will either need to purchase a copy of the software, or look into an open source solution, such as OpenOffice.

fprock

Download a freeware text editor. Get over Microsuck. They don't love you

I don't love them either, another ex had me set up with Linux but I had a hard time with the visual changes. People process new info differently, and I was too visual to absorb the change. What is a freeware text editor and how do I get it? Please excuse my ignorance...

fprock

"Actually, you can use MS Vista as a 'trial' for about 30 days before it needs to be activated. Same with the MS Office products."

That trial period is over, but thank you for helping me find the COA key, Not even Toshiba or Microsoft told me to look there. Do you think I shouldn't be pissed at my "friend" for not making this situation right as far as the MS Office cost? Was I completely ridiculous assuming I bought a laptop with MS installed?
Thanks

"If you have a legitimate key (aka COA-Certificate of Authenticity) on the bottom of the computer, call the manufacturer of the system and see if they will send you a set of recovery CDs/DVDs. That will allow you to reinstall and activate the OS with a good key."

As far as the MS Office, you will either need to purchase a copy of the software, or look into an open source solution, such as OpenOffice.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">