• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automotive Credit Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bpfiguy

(Missouri) I am a former finance director in the automotive retail industry. I witnessed discrimination that was very open. An example is that I was able to offer customers with good credit scores a 3 day bring back policy(cust could bring car back in 3 day no strings attached), which customers did utilize. However customers with lower credit scores could not bring the vehicle back at all, once they drove off the lot they where stuck with it. I saw on several occasions this happen with customers who's vehicles started having trouble 20 minutes after purchasing and being told they own it, get out. I found this to be disturbing and very unethical behavior. Wondering how to proceed? I resigned from the company after finding out they where recording my phone calls without permission.:cool:?Missouri?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Those with poor credit is not a protected class in the US. It is not unusual to offer special perks to those with good credit, things like lower interest rates, 3 day right of recission or other items not offered to those with poor credit. There is nothing illegal about employers recording phone conversations, they don't need your permission. Nothing in your post suggests anything illegal, you have no cause to bring action against your former employer. I suggest growing a thicker skin if you want to work in the that particular industry.

Bpfiguy

Credit Discrimation/Fed Wire Tap laws

After 12 years as a Finance Director this was the first place that illegally recorded phone calls. Sup court states that implied knowledge is not enough for consent, and my personal calls are def off limits. One party on the line is required to have knowledge the call is being recorded. My job was to protect the interest of the company as a whole, so some legal knowledge comes in handy to keep your employees' from breaking the law unknowingly. Last time I checked it was illegal to discriminate against persons due to credit. I do charge higher rates, ect which is perfectly legal since we are a broker to the lender. However, it seems strange that policies for one group can be different than another group. Not saying its not common practice, however I do not see how it is not illegal. So can I discriminate and give some policies to black or gays and not others and vice versa? No vendetta against this company, but when I see a transparent issue such as this I thought I must address it. As far as thick skin, jump in my shoes for a day or two, then you might know what a sociopath does for a legal living, in the land of legal manipulation. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Black or gay IS a protected characteristic. Having poor credit is not.

You have been given your correct answer (on BOTH topics)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">