• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank problem....Chase..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doccj79

Staten Island NY.
Hi,,
I need help..
We went to Chase bank to open a Checking account. They asked for 2 IDs, My wife gave a Florida Drivers Lic. and her work ID, I gave my Florida Drivers Lic. and my Navigation Lic. (Captains Lic.) from Puerto Rico. The first question he asked,
1. Are you US. Citizen? I said, all puertorricans are citizens....
Then he said ok,,, picked up the phone and called Chase bank central(I guess, or his boss) and ask if we accept lic. from P.R., I dont know what the person said in the other line but the reply saying but is from Puerto Rico... during this I gave him P.R. Drivers Lic. and said we dont cant accept this. I gave him my Social Security Card.. and he still didnt accept it... I showed him my CHASE VISA CARD. and he said I am sorry.
But what about my Fl drivers lic. and still didnt want to accept it.... Until I had no choice to leave.....
Everybody was looking and I really felt bad.. like if I was a ilegal immigrant or something...
I went to another bank and didnt ask any question and accepted my P.R. Drivers lic. like any another lic from any other state of the US...
Why my wife with her Fl lic. and her work ID was ok,, even work ID is not government ID.. but I provided 3 ID all from US Government and this wasnt ok???
Can I do something???

doccj79

Update....
I called OCC(Office of Comptroller of the Currency) and told me to write a formal complaint to the bank and to the OCC, also to consult with a lawyer...
They also said that under federal law.. any US bank has to accept Puerto Rico Drivers Lic...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">