• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Judge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JumpingJack

I am in Tennessee.
My husbands estate is in probate. I wonder if it
would be alright for me to call the probate judge?
My lawyer, has done a lot of research, but, bless him, he is not a trial lawyer!! Things are dragging. My step son, is trying to remove me from being executor. We have been to court about about it 4 months ago. His lawyer is searching for "other wills", and the probate judge told him to do it in a "timely manner." Is 4 months "timely?"

A

advisor10

FEB. 14, 2001

DEAR JUMPING JACK:

DO NOT CONTACT THIS PROBATE JUDGE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BY TELEPHONE--IT WOULD NOT BE WISE AND IT IS CONSIDERED UNPROFESSIONAL, besides possibly offending the attorney who is working on your behalf.

What is the reason you would want to contact this judge--is it to ask him to please expedite your probate situation, or some other reason? How long has your husband's estate been in probate? There is a reason that this delay is occurring--has your attorney explained this to you or are you dissatisfied and impatient with what he has told you?

I agree that 4 months is certainly a somewhat unreasonably lengthy time to search for a will, but this situation is actually in your favor--if you are reasonably sure that no other will would be found, then there is almost no chance that your stepson could successfully remove you as executor.

Do you need access to money that is being held up in probate or are you just trying to figure out a strategy to battle and outstmart your stepson?

[email protected]

J

JumpingJack

Thanks for answering.. no, my lawyer has not told me anything of what is happening. He told me last month that he would make an appt with the judge for us to talk to.
To find out why the delay.
The estate has been in probate almost a year. No, I do not need money, I just need for this to be over. I was the sole heir in the will, with his son and I as executors. The son is heir to a trust that he will get when I die.
I thought I was doing as my husband wished. He made the will. None of his family has spoken to me since his death.
I am very upset by all of it!! We were married 25 years!!
I am not trying to outsmart anyone.
thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">