• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Urn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krazemyk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My brother and I had my mother cremated when she died. My mothers ashes were handed to my aunt over two years ago in an urn that was roughly $500.00. She was handed the remains to allow her a time of mourning and time to get a keepsake of the remains and give the urn and remaining remains back to me. Since then she has not returned emails or phone calls in regards to getting my mothers remains and urn back...

I have since learned that she has given the remains to ANOTHER family member in another state (AR). And this family member is holding the urn hostage. She will not make any attempts to return it to its rightful owner. I never agreed to giving the urn to any other family member, especially one with a criminal record.

What legal attempts can I take to get this urn back? Can I have a lawyer contact them and demand it be delivered back to me? Can i sue the aunt i originally handed it to?

Thanks,

rowz

Start your quest by sending this witch a calm and disspatinote letter via Certified Mail.
Give her a date, say 2 weeks from the date of the her receipt of the letter, to return said remains & in the container in which you provided those remains to you. If not, you will have to take what remedies exist for you to regain possession of those remains.

After you send the demand letter consult a local attorney. Maybe the local crematorium/funeral parlor could provide you with a name of an attorney dealing with such matters.

Good luck.

Dandy Don

Consult with an attorney BEFORE you send the letter to find out what your state law and whether you have legal authority to make such a request. There was nothing IN WRITING about your agreement with the aunt, correct?

krazemyk

This is a duplicate post. You've already received answers in your first.
I did not receive answers in my first post. Did you happen to even read it?

These answers I received are much more helpful - thanks!

And there was no written agreement between me and my aunt (after watching all the tv judge programs you think i would of learned from their lesson...) The agreement was only verbal. After all this I hope that the remains are in fact my mothers.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Helped me out a lot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">