• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting sisters baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

photomommy06

California... My sister is having a baby in Sept. and she wants to have it adopted. My question is, is it very difficult for me to adopt the baby? He would be staying with in the family and she is okay with the whole thing. It has NOTHING to do with drugs or anything that is not why she is not keeping him she has her personal reasons. If anyone has any info please let me know!

LdiJ

California... My sister is having a baby in Sept. and she wants to have it adopted. My question is, is it very difficult for me to adopt the baby? He would be staying with in the family and she is okay with the whole thing. It has NOTHING to do with drugs or anything that is not why she is not keeping him she has her personal reasons. If anyone has any info please let me know!
You do realize that the father has to agree as well? If both parents agree then it would not be terribly difficult, but an attorney WOULD be needed.

photomommy06

You do realize that the father has to agree as well? If both parents agree then it would not be terribly difficult, but an attorney WOULD be needed.
The father in the situation has NO SAY in what happens. He has been threating to kill my sister and has NOT been there AT ALL for her. She has already been talking to a lawyer about the whole adoption thing and they have already told her that he will NOT have a say in what she decides.

I just want to know if anyone has some good informaion for me so that we know what to do. Or even let me know of some websites to look at so that i can get some information. This is an important decision for myself and my husband.

Isis1

if the child is born, dad can be legally adjucated as the father. dad WILL have a say so regardless. threatening to kill someone does not terminate parental rights. only a court can do that. unless mom is going to lie and claim she doesn't know who the dad is (commit purgury), mom won't be able to do that. if mom DOES commit purgury, dad can have the adoption overturned with a good lawyer.

momofrose

Get another Lawyer!!

The father in the situation has NO SAY in what happens. He has been threating to kill my sister and has NOT been there AT ALL for her. She has already been talking to a lawyer about the whole adoption thing and they have already told her that he will NOT have a say in what she decides.

I just want to know if anyone has some good informaion for me so that we know what to do. Or even let me know of some websites to look at so that i can get some information. This is an important decision for myself and my husband.
If this lawyer told youthat the father of this child has "no say" with regard to this child or the adoption thereof, he is 100% WRONG!!!

It does not matter that he is not there for your sister, or that he alledgedly threatened to kill her. Only a court can terminate his parental rights if he does not sign the parental termination papers or does not respond to the courts petitionwithin a certain amount of time.

Get another lawyer that specializes in legal adoption.

D

Silverplum

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't come here, ask for advice, then tell the advisors they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Especially when you clearly haven't read even one page of posts on the topic. You have every opportunity to learn, if you want to. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

There could be some extremely rare circumstances where an attorney might say that the dad doesn't have to give consent (ie convicted rape of the mother) but I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything here that meets that criteria.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">