• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Misrepresented

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brogir

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Bought a dog with contract from pet store. He is supposed to be purebred. Got DNA test he isn't pure. CKC revoked his registration. The pet store said bring in all info and documentation and amount willing to pay for the dog. So we did and offered to pay $400. The breeder refused the amount and came back with a $1000 and we keep him or give back dog and he'll replace with another dog. I have had Spike for alittle less than a year now. We refused and the petstore said they would go back and ask again. We payed 3000 for a purebred english bulldog but got a bulldog/boxer. The contract includes they only replace the dog (if its sick or has health problems) and they don't refund money. It doesn't say anything about a mix breed like if the dog is found not to be the dog they said it is. Is the contract void for misrepresentation and what can i do with this situation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Bought a dog with contract from pet store. He is supposed to be purebred.
What EXACTLY does the contract say as to breed.... and any guarantee??

If the contract specifically claims as to purebred 'English Bulldog' and it clearly is not, then you likely have a good case for breach of contract. Send them a very nice PROFESSIONAL letter (certified RRR) spelling out your claim and including that you would pursue litigation if they do not contact you in writing within 15 days from receipt.
Then, if they don't take care of this, file a small claim suit. If you win, you will have to return the dog in return for a full refund. If you want to keep the animal, the court MIGHT negotiate a settlement.

Last edited:

brogir

Purebred

He was sold as a purebred english bulldog. I am still talking to the petstore but they haven't come back to the last phone call of us saying no to their offer of $1000. I called several breeder they also no more than $500.. I can't even find a breeder online or anyone that is selling a mix breed of english bullie/boxer. I think $500 is plenty reasonable for a nonregistered mix breed. Oh what would i say in my letter to make it sound more professional?

brogir

Contract info

Limited one year warranty for if the aniaml has hereditary or congenital disorders. Confirmin g of health problem the Petland will issue a full store credit. Petland not responsible for any treatment or medical bills. Petland will only replace the dog. NOw talking to several lawyers they said the contract is void because i entered into false pretenses upon signing the agreement. Basically i have to go back to when we were first in the store and start a new contract and come up with a reasonable market value of the dog to keep him. Which is fine i am willling to pay for him but they came back with an outragious amount. There is no one out there that would charge that amount. The petstore also said you come back with a lawyer that will tell me the contract is void. Well i found several.

JETX

NOw talking to several lawyers they said the contract is void because i entered into false pretenses upon signing the agreement.
And of course, that is NOT what they said. No attorney would say that. Far more likely that they said the contract might be VOIDABLE due to breach.

Other than that, I have already answered your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">