• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigned for a motorcycle then divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaxellHelp

This is happening in Iowa.

So here is the story, one of my friends co-signed a loan back in march for a motorcycle with her then hubby. In the last month they have gotten a divorce and in the divorce it was written in that he would take over the payments for the motorcycle/ refinance it in his name. Her divorce lawyer said that it wouldn't be a problem if he moved. Now since then he has moved across the country with the motorcycle and decided to stop making payments, and the lawyer says the only thing he can really do is file a contempt of court. Is this the only thing that can be done?

I have read a few things online and a most say that my friend is going to be stuck making payments on the bike until it is paid off, unless she wants to trash her credit (not a smart move as we all know). My question is that most of these other discussions i found online had to do with loans that were used to pay for intangible things such as school loans, what can she do since the money was used to buy something like the motorcycle that actually exists? Is there anything she can do since she will be the only one making payments on the bike or what other possible solutions can you offer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">