• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

StepParent Adoption In SC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCMom1953

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I have been divorced for several years, and was remarried late last year. My ex-husband has paid child support only once (February) and has visited my son only once in the last year. He often calls and makes promises to take him to games, out for pizza, etc. and then never shows up.

My husband is the one who reads to my son, throws ball with him, takes him to football practice, picks him up from school and does everything a father should. He loves my son, and would like to adopt him. My son (who is seven) has said he would like for my husband to be his Dad, and would like to share our last name.

However, when I brought this up to my ex-husband, he said no, he will not give up custody. He says he intends to pay his back child support ($4,150) current child support and begin regular visitation on a schedule after his daughter (with his girlfriend) is born (due in September). What this has to do with anything baffles me.

He has promised, and promised, and we are all tired of believing.

Can we fight him on this? Do we have a chance?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't have a chance...
And, you should be ENCOURAGING your ex to form a parental relationship with his child. You should NOT be encouraging your child to replace his father with your new man. That's just sad.

Poor kid...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">