• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of air conditioner repair contract??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kentuckycuz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I'm being billed by a air conditioning company for cancelling a "service" -- they didn't say "contract". Two diff techs (one of which didn't listen to anything I said) told me that I needed a new air compressor. After I got a few estimates, I called the guy told him to go ahead and order it. There was no written contract. I did request that the last tech not be the one to come out b/c he didn't do what I asked him to do (check for a specific thing) and he said that he'd send someone else. The last thing I said to him was for him to call me when it came in (it had to be ordered). Afterwards, I talked to an electrician friend who said that their diagnosis didn't make sense and he thought it was something else. I tried calling the first company but it was July 3rd after business hours. Closed on the 4th for the holiday, then closed next two days b/c it was the weekend. I was going to call first thing Monday morning and cancel but the guy showed up at 8:45 (they don't open until 9:00) and I told him that I wanted to wait until I got a 2nd opinion. He said that he would tell the company what I said and he left. I called a diff company for a 2nd opinion. They came out. Turns out it wasn't a bad compressor, it was a simple blockage. Then, I get a bill from the first company charging me for an hour and a half labor plus a hefty charge for a "restocking" of the compressor.

I haven't called the company yet to dispute it b/c I wanted to know where I stood beforehand. Also, I don't know if I should call or write a letter. Although I do think a verbal contract should be honored, I don't think I should have to pay it b/c they misdiagnosed it in the first place. I think they were taking advantage of me. I had already paid for 2 prior visits for diagnostic purposes. Besides, the last thing I said to him was to call me when the compressor came in, and he didn't. They just showed up. And, he sent the same tech out ... the one that I asked him not to send again.

BL

What have you done to dispute their bill ?

You need to send your correspondences by RRR Certified mail ( along with a copy of the bill from the place that did the job correctly w/ a note of what the problem was ) . If the bill/invoice does not have it , request the CO. to note , the issue was not the compressor needing to be replaced , and initialed .

You need to state you are disputing the bill , as the issue was not properly DX'd , you did not need a compressor , and you should not be paying a bill for something like this , and you won't .

Keep a copy of the letter and receipt it was delivered . If it comes back undelivered do not open it , keep it for court if necessary .

Send one by reg. mail also .

If they send it to collections , you can dispute it there also .

There are shoddy Co. that tell their employees to , sell , sell , sell , if the customer needs it , or not .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">