• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of contract??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxneedhelpxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I contracted with a firm to replace my front door and at the same time, install a screen door. They purchased the doors and subbed for the install. during the install, after installing the door and changeing the direction of swing, the sub discovered the screen did not fit. The firm says they cannot find a screen door and sent me a new invoice charging me the amount of my deposit plus another $500. They claim the contract has been changed because they cannot find a screen door and I owe them for the door and the work performed. Any opinions????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
*sounds* like they are trying to charge you only the cost of the door and not the screen.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I contracted with a firm to replace my front door and at the same time, install a screen door. They purchased the doors and subbed for the install. during the install, after installing the door and changeing the direction of swing, the sub discovered the screen did not fit. The firm says they cannot find a screen door and sent me a new invoice charging me the amount of my deposit plus another $500. They claim the contract has been changed because they cannot find a screen door and I owe them for the door and the work performed. Any opinions????
**A: you left out one important piece of information; how much was the contract for?

xxneedhelpxx

more facts

1. Yes, they are trying to charge me for the new door plus installation costs.
2. The original cost for a. new door + b. screen door + install was aprox $1500. I gave them $700.00 deposit. They now want another $500 for a. new door + install of new door.
Should I:
a) Pay them what they want and move on.
b) Tell them the original contract is not complete and not pay them anything more.
c) Get a lawyer.
Thanks for you cogent advice.

BL

1. Yes, they are trying to charge me for the new door plus installation costs.
2. The original cost for a. new door + b. screen door + install was aprox $1500. I gave them $700.00 deposit. They now want another $500 for a. new door + install of new door.
Should I:
a) Pay them what they want and move on.
b) Tell them the original contract is not complete and not pay them anything more.
c) Get a lawyer.
Thanks for you cogent advice.
The door has been installed .

They gave you a new invoice , minus 300.00 , presumably for the screen door .

Q? Why did they put the swing of the door the opposite side ?
Was that the deal ?

On the original contract , what was the break down ?

You may have to have a customized screen door made , they should chip in the difference , if you do have to .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">