• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents and Adoption of Grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stacy Corriher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My 19 year old step daughter is pregnant and still in school. The father of the baby is 16. His parents are giving our daughter an ultimatum. Either she can abort the baby and her boyfriend stay in NC or she can have the baby and the boyfriend will be sent to live with his father in SC. Neither my daughter nor the boyfriend want to abort. We (grandparent) don't want them to abort the pregnancy. Her Father and I are willing to adopt the child. The boyfriends parents aren't wanting anything to do with the child. We are trying to figure out our rights and if we are allowed to adopt the child (as in open Adoption) because our daughter and the boyfriend do want to raise the child once he turns 18.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My 19 year old step daughter is pregnant and still in school. The father of the baby is 16. His parents are giving our daughter an ultimatum. Either she can abort the baby and her boyfriend stay in NC or she can have the baby and the boyfriend will be sent to live with his father in SC. Neither my daughter nor the boyfriend want to abort. We (grandparent) don't want them to abort the pregnancy. Her Father and I are willing to adopt the child. The boyfriends parents aren't wanting anything to do with the child. We are trying to figure out our rights and if we are allowed to adopt the child (as in open Adoption) because our daughter and the boyfriend do want to raise the child once he turns 18.
Then let them raise their child. Dad-to-Be will be responsible for CS after the baby is born if Mom-to-Be files for it. Grandparents will all need to butt out. They've raised their children.

CourtClerk

Then let them raise their child. Dad-to-Be will be responsible for CS after the baby is born if Mom-to-Be files for it. Grandparents will all need to butt out. They've raised their children.
Agreed. I will also add that if the child is adopted out, then they won't have a child to raise. You think a judge is going to go for these 2 irresponsible beings giving up a child for adoption and then getting the baby back once they are 18????? Adoptions are not temporary situations... they are PERMANENT.

nextwife

NC Age of consent is 16.

How old was the dad when adult sis conceived a child with him?

Adult sis may be facing some legal issues.

LdiJ

Your daughter really shouldn't be dating a 16 year old. She can also ignore any ultimatims from the boyfriend's parents. That may mean that he gets sent to SC, but they would have the right to keep her away from him anyway, because he is still a minor.

There is no reason for you and your husband to adopt the child. You stepdaughter can raise her child (with as much help as the boy's parents will allow) and with your help as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">