• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mislead into a contract - am I stuck or can I get out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NatalieG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Colorado and back in March I went into a tanning salon, called At The Beach, with intentions to tan one week for free (with a coupon I got) and maybe an additional month or two, just to help me get a base tan for the summer since I don't have much time to lay out in the sun. I signed what I thought was an aggreement for one month, okaying that they pull $49.95 from my account. I thought this was going to be a one time transaction when I received a letter in the mail from Affiliated Acceptance Corporation, (ATB's credit company) letting me know that they would be pulling $49.95 from my account for 24 months, totalling $1198.80. Needless to say, I was really upset when I got this letter. I called ATB (both the store and Corporate), and spoke to the girl who was there when I originally went in. I told her how upset and mislead I felt and all she could say was that she always tells everyone it is a 24 month contract, which she absolutely FAILED to mention. Had she said this, I would've walked out the door. Yes, I understand I signed something, that now I wish I wouldn't have. I didn't read the fine print because the girl had a line out the door and was trying to rush through so she could get to the waiting customers. Since I started tanning, my skin condition, eczema has come back and worsened. I went to the dr who told me tanning is what's aggravating my skin condition and to stop tanning. He even sent ATB a dr's note but they refuse to cancel my contract and told me to find someone to transfer it to for $25.00. I posted an ad to try and find someone and to my surprise, about 10 people contacted me who were also mislead into contracts, or lied to about the contracts altogether, and told they could cancel whenever. I am also finding out that some of these misleading sales people have been fired for misleading people into signing.

Is there anything I (and these other individuals) can do to get out of the unwanted contracts? Aren't they just as negligent for not verbally stating the terms of the contract? I was apparently supposed to get a copy of the contract, but I never did - I wonder why? They probably didn't want me to realize what I was getting myself into until it was too late to do anything about it, at least that's my best guess.

I am prepared, along with these other individuals to go to the BBB as well as the appropriate department with the State of Colorado but would like to have a better understanding of my rights regarding this situation. Please help - any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Natalie

Last edited:

VeronicaLodge

consider this a lesson, you need to read what you sign and not rely on what the person that wants you to sign it "says". and don't pay attention to lines or pressure, take your time, read everything and anything you sign.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think I realize that now. Thanks for your opinion but that's not what I asked.
You cannot get out (easily) from a contract that you willingly and eagerly signed.
You were not "mislead" as the terms were clearly laid out in the contract you signed.

Understand now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">