• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Owners Association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susieq

What type of litigation would it take to dissolve a home owners association in Texas? Any information you could give me would be helpful.

S

susieq

HOA

The home owners association in our neighborhood is stepping above and beyond its duties, and everyone on the board is on it for their own good. How do we, the people in the neighborhood dissolve the association, and just have a management group oversee our neighborhood.

JETX

Trying to force the dissolution of a homeowners association in Texas is not a simple manner and will involve long and expensive litigation. (I say this as both a homeowner and former Association President).

As I see it, you basically have few choices:
1) Read the Association By-Laws and your Deed Restrictions. You might be able to find some clauses that allow you to overule or appeal some actions made by the Board.

2) You can get a LOT of your neighbors to agree to pony up a LOT of money each and pursue litigation against the Association. If you decide to go this route, call your local (city, county) Bar Association and ask for a referral to an attorney familiar with Home Owner Associations.

3) This is the one I recommend:
Get a group of 'like-minded' residents of the Association to band together and vote out the current Board at the next election. In fact, the By-Laws and Restrictions may provide for some way to call a special election if the scheduled annual meeting is too far away.

And, finally, I would be remiss in not saying the following from my experience on the Board of a Homeowners Association in Texas:
One thing that I noticed was that those who complained the loudest were the ones that NEVER attended any meetings. Have you been to one of your scheduled monthly meetings?? Have you talked directly with any of the Board members to voice your concerns?? Have you ever taken an active role in YOUR Association???
If not, now might be a good time to start.

G

genevara

dissolving an association

I am in a subdivision where the homeowners' association went way beyond their authority and sent 2/3 of the owners to a collection agency. I got the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and a local tv station to investigate. They did the research and proved our case for us. This wouldn't work for everyone, but if you're really convinced they've gone further than the legal limits, it might be worth a shot

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">