• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer Auto Trade-In Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anichols007

9 days ago I traded-in my old car at a dealership. At the time of the trade the dealer said that he would take my car on an even trade. At this time I also signed documents releasing my old car to him and that also stated that he would pay off the remaining balance on my old car. Now 9 days later I received a call saying that he just took my car to the mechanic and the engine is bad and needs a new engine. I was the only owner on my previous car and never had any problems with it. In fact, the day before I traded it in I took it to my mechanic and had him look it over before I traded it to make sure it was OK.

Somehow when I walked out of the dealership, the paperwork that I signed releasing my old car to the dealer as well as stating that he was going to pay it off, never made it into my pile of paperwork. Am I entitled to this paperwork, especially since it has my signature on it? Also is the dealer allowed to do this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
9 days ago I traded-in my old car at a dealership. At the time of the trade the dealer said that he would take my car on an even trade. At this time I also signed documents releasing my old car to him and that also stated that he would pay off the remaining balance on my old car. Now 9 days later I received a call saying that he just took my car to the mechanic and the engine is bad and needs a new engine. I was the only owner on my previous car and never had any problems with it. In fact, the day before I traded it in I took it to my mechanic and had him look it over before I traded it to make sure it was OK.

Somehow when I walked out of the dealership, the paperwork that I signed releasing my old car to the dealer as well as stating that he was going to pay it off, never made it into my pile of paperwork. Am I entitled to this paperwork, especially since it has my signature on it? Also is the dealer allowed to do this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

US LAW ONLY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">