• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coerced confession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GUS40

My 18 year old son was recently detained and questioned (in Wisconsin)about his involvment in a non-violent crime the police were investigating. He was taken to a back room of the house he was staying at and questioned by one of the officers, without benefit of Miranda; he repeatedly told the officer he did not want to answer any questions or fill out any forms. The officer continued to badger my son, telling him things would get alot worse if he didn't answer, that they had evidence against him. At that time, my son said he would not answer the questions until he saw the evidence but the officer told him "don't worry about it, just answer the questions!" They kept at him until my son finally gave in and confessed, at which time they placed him and another youth under arrest. At what point in the questioning does "NO" actually get to mean "NO"? The youth that was being questioned by the other officer got to say no and mean it; why couldn't my son?

H

hannah jo

If there are issues of an unlawful detention, coerced confession or a statement obtained in violation of Miranda, your son's defense attorney will raise those issues inhis behalf. Miranda is not always required when being questioned by police officers. If the DA pursues the cases and files charges, you son will have the opportunity of the manner which the inofmration was obtained into question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">