• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medicaid claims on estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momde

My mother-in-law left her home to my husband by a beneficiary deed. (State of Missouri) She was in a nursing home for approximately 45 days before she died and we just received a notice from Social Services that Medicaid may make a claim on the estate. Most of her creditors have not pursued claims since the house did not go thru probate because of the deed. What rights does Medicaid have on the house?

B

buckspc

Medicaid claim

Whats your problem with paying for your mother in laws care out of the proceeds from the sell of the property? Why should the taxpayers pick up the tab for her care when she owned a house? For 45 days, what are we talking here, a few thousand bucks. Pay the money and don't be so greedy. Thats what people have assets for, to pay their bills, be glad its only for 45 days and not years. This is a personal opinion based on my experience, Buck

M

momde

Thank you for such a kind reply Buckspc! It was my mother-in-law's wish that her home stay in the family and we really don't wish to see her home be given to the state. Her years of hard work will now benefit my children, as was her wish. My family lives on limited means and we were unable to pay for her care. Keep in mind that we pay into this system, just the same that you do.

B

buckspc

Mecicaid claim

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything like that but everyone would like to keep all the money in the family. We live in a society that does not give us free medical as do most western countries. That being said if we own medical bills regardless of what our wishes are they have to be paid out of the assets of the said person. Until we change the system thats the way it is. I agree with you that we all work hard to get where we are but bills still have to be paid. Hopefully one day we will as a society take care of all our old people and not have them give everything to the state when they get sick, but at this time its just not the way it is, Sorry for your situation and hope you can work out something for the good of all your family, Buck, IMO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">