• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract for Service: Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kballenger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I was asked to provide 50 cake squares for a bridal shower for a friend and we agreed on a price of $2.50 each for a total of $125. She told me that she wanted them to be 1.5" square, only one layer, and iced on all four sides with soft icing and topped with a bow. I told her that typically cake squares are not iced with soft icing, but rather a hard, poured icing or fondant and that the soft would not be covered perfectly. She told me that she wanted the soft despite the warnings I gave her. I delivered the cake squares as promised and when she saw that they were not perfect, she refused to pay the agreed upon amount and wrote a check for $50.00 and postdated it 4 days so that I could not cash it until Monday. What can I do in order to recoup the $75 that is owed to me? A friend suggested sending a certified letter demanding payment, but I am scared to since I am not a business, but just decorate cakes for friends and family.

JETX

What can I do in order to recoup the $75 that is owed
Not much of a 'friend or family' to you though, huh??
March down to your local small claims court and file a suit against her.

Oh, and next time that you warn against their insistence.... put your concerns in writing and get them to sign the 'waiver'.

kballenger

You think small claims would be better than a certified letter. Also, I am not familiar with small claims, what is the procedure, what does it cost, and what would I sue for?

Thanks for all of your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">