• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Viper_8605

What is the name of your state (Missouri)?

I would first like to start out by saying that I have ZERO experience and almost ZERO knowledge of the legal system, just short of traffic laws:D.

Today I received a phone call from a lady that is threatening to sue me because she claims I owe her $900 for using an near- abandoned garage she owned last year.

We had a verbal contract that I would fix her computer network at her place of business in exchange for using the garage for a few weeks to do an engine swap for a friend.

After returning the key to her weeks later she claimed that I owed her $900 (or $45 a day) for renting out this facility. I told her that I was under the impression that I fixed her computers and I used the garage with no exchange of money. Keep in mind this garage hasn't been used in over 3 years.

She is a money mongrel and even forced my mother into bankruptcy last month for different reasons. She claims to be a good Christian woman but at the end of the night she is just a gold digger. She has sent many many people to the financial gallows over the last 6 years as she is a "dis-honest" person when it comes to contracts.

She has been threatening to sue me for quite some time now, yet the phone call today addressed that she was sending me papers.

I know verbal contracts are just as good as written ones but written ones are in harder stone.
So my question- " Do I have anything to worry about?"

I have several witnesses as to fixing the computers, the thought to be original contract, and the new threats.
I'm concerned because she knows a lot of people and has made many lives miserable.

HELP PLEASE.

JETX

" Do I have anything to worry about?"
If she can prove that there was a prior agreement to pay rent... and you didn't pay, then yes, you do have 'something' to worry about.
If she can't prove it or if you have proof that there was no such agreement or that you did make any promised payments, then no, you have nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">