• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic violence and gun ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BupL82pla

I live in colorado springs, colorado. In march of 2000 a uniformed officer and a plain clothed woman came to my front door and rang the doorbell. They asked me to step out to talk and right after I did the uniformed officer pushed me down into the middle of my front yard and laying on top of me cuffed my hands behind my back. Immediately after this I saw about ten men in full S.W.A.T. team gear run into my home. I was then dragged into my house while they yelled at me, "where's the assult rifle" over and over. above the fire place, hanging above the mantel, was my great grandfather's WW-1 bolt action M-1 Garand 30.06 Springfield. The gun is stamped "Rock Island Arsenal 1905" and has hung there for about four or five years. These people who had yet to identify themselves, proceded to confiscate my entire collection of antique firearmes which I've had for 12 years at least. All of the firearms were locked up and unloaded (the WW-1 Garand was unloaded and zippy tied to the wall mounts) except for a gun I kept in my dresser drawer upstairs in the bedroom. This gun was there to use for the personal protection of my family and myself if ever the need be. After spending the night in jail I returned to my home to find it destroyed. A list was left on the kitchen counter of what had supposedly been taken. On the list was my passport, my utility bill, and all of the firearms in my collection except for two, which were not on the list but were gone just the same. After cleaning up the place but not before takeing a video of every room and the garage to document the damage and downright disrespect;(cigarette buts on the floor, tissue papers wadded up with mucus from noses) what do I find but my passport and utility bill lying in separate aeras about the house. The copy of the search warrant left with the list in the kitchen states "Possession of a firearm by a domestic violence offender is a violation of Federal Statue 18 U.S.C. 922g 7 n. POSSESSION OR RECIEPT OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED PERSON".I AM NOT A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OFFENDER, I AM NOT! I unknowingly placed a phone call to the father of a person whom a restraining order was in effect against myself for no contact. But the father had left a message to call him on my machine and also had asked a friend to have me call him if he saw me. I was and am in violation of the restraining order by contacting the residence, but I never spoke with the victim and the TRO was dismissed for no appearance of the plaintiff some few days later. The violation of the order was dropped because a phone call to the father at his request was verified and I am not a "DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OFFENDER" as judged by the court. What should I do to right this wrong? Thanks for any help. A.A.H III

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Basically, then you need to clear this up by hring an attorney. He will use your past criminal record to prove you are not a domestic violence offender, and as such, the police had no probable cause to do what they did. Then he will sue for false imprisonment, and false arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">