• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of Inmate Mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Altonsgirl77

I live in Michigan and I am wondering what rights inmates have pertaining to their incoming mail to a county jail. Having some previous knowledge of inmate mail, I know that it is supposed to be checked for contraband, but not read (I was an employee and this was my JOB!!) and was told it was illegal for it to be read. Well, now my fiance is inmate in same county jail I worked at and they are trying to use a letter I wrote him against him in court, and they are using it against me and told me they will pursue accesssory after the fact charges because of said letter. Can anyone tell me what the laws and or rights are of an inmate in this position???? Thank you!! Please email me at [email protected] if you have any advice or know of a way for me to finding out this information.

calatty

Jail officials are allowed to read incoming and outgoing mail and listen to phone calls. Because of security considerations, inmates have very few privacy rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">