• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 66 Thunderbird

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

betterthanbrb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I brought my 1966 Thunderbird to Flashback Motors in July 2007 to have it looked over with a specific list because it was a gift to me and I wanted to be sure that it was safe to drive. I also wanted a newer radio installed. I also explained that I was semi retired and on a budget so I was limited on what I could do.

After the car was looked over I spoke to Mike, the head mechanic, who explained that there were certain problems with my engine and a few tune up items and that the quote on repairing the car and installing the radio was 7,000.00. According to Mike, in order to begin work the shop required that I gave a deposit of 5,000.00, my wife and I gave them 5,100.00 over the course of 2 weeks. Mike handed me back a list that matched my list with explanations on how and why certain repairs needed to be done. I was then told that the repair would take 3 to 4 months at most. I received 3 invoices in the next 20 days to justify the expenses and never received another one.

I was told by Mike my engine was being sent out and not being repaired by Flashback Motors directly, but by one of the subcontractors they used in the past. I was told that I would periodically be invoiced as work was done in order to keep my files and the shops progress noted. Immediately after my deposit of 5,100.00 deposit was received by Flashback Motors, the engine was pulled and left in a corner for approximately 9 months, no other work was able to be completed until that repair was done. I never received another invoice from Flashback Motors LLC. I have both lists from Flashback motors as well as my own in my possession as well as the 3 invoices.

Periodically, I had gone into the shop to check the status of the repairs and my engine was pulled and in a corner. Mike had told me that the engine was going to be sent out for repair and not done in house. My engine stayed in that corner for over 9 months and I continued to ask the status and I was continually assured that there were no worries but that the engine mechanic that they originally planned for dissolved his relationship with them and that they were seeking someone else. I was in that shop well over 30 times in the past year and even did a subcontracted job for them in that span.

Approximately 2 weeks ago my wife received a call from Flashback Motors to let us know that the car was completed but that the blinkers on my vehicle were not working, however, they were working 2 days ago and that the shop was willing to repair this for 350.00 dollars plus labor. My wife was upset by this because they were charging us for something that they broke and told Mike that she wanted a copy of the final bill for the car and she would get back to him about the blinkers. He faxed us a final invoice that is $12,934.89, not the 7,000.00 that was originally quoted and my wife brought this to my attention immediately.

I went to the shop to speak with them and I was told that certain items were necessary to fix the car over the span of 13 months and I explained that the shop was advised that they had to advise me if there were any changes and the response that I received from the manager Steven was that these types of issue happens all of the time with classic cars and that I should have known that the pricing could vary. Steven has been with the shop for approximately 4 months and is going strictly on what Mike has said.

I am more than willing to pay the remaining balance of 1,900.00 of which I was quoted, however, I cannot afford or justify $7,834.89. The time that it took for the car to be repaired is excessive. The time that is billed for in the labor column of my bill is more than double the original quote and was never discussed, and the price for parts do not match what was quoted, nor do they match the current prices on the retail market. Flashback Motors has my car in there possession and I would like to put an end to this. I was told by Steven that he would take 500.00 off the bill and fix my blinkers but this is not acceptable to me as my quote was several thousand dollars less than that. I never agreed to anything other than what was quoted by Mike on the original sheet given and I will supply that to the court as well.

It should be noted that the ownership has changed hands over the last few months and I was advised that the new owners name is Steven Fish. I have no other information about the owner.

I did not sign anything. They did not call me any other time then the phone call spoken of in this letter and I have a feeling that they are going to file a mechanics lien or try to.

They have possession of my car....what can I do**************should I file in civil court? I will hire a lawyer if one is needed. Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">